If like me you thought “Hey, it’s a new feature, I can finally create reports in powerbi.com service and then when I need to mashup with data from other sources, then I just have to download the Power BI desktop file (.pbix), do my mashup and then publish it again.”, then you are sorely mistaken. 🙂
I tried to download one pbix file but got this error message:
Basically you would need to check that your report/dataset does not fall into these limitations:
- To download the file, you must have edit access to the report
- The report must have been created using Power BI Desktop and been published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix must have been uploadedto the service.
- Reports must be published or updated after November 23, 2016. Reports published prior to then are not downloadable.
- This feature will not work with reports originally created in the Power BI service, including content packs.
- You should always be using the latest version of Power BI Desktop when opening downloaded files. Downloaded .pbix files may not open in non-current versions of Power BI Desktop.
- If your administrator has turned off the ability to export data, this feature will not be visible in the Power BI service.
I wish you can be able to just simply start off in powerbi.com and then download the .pbix file later when you need to but not at the present moment it seems.